Monday, January 7, 2013

Project completed

Please excuse any typos etc as posting this from my phone.

We have just completed the project phase of our trip in which we painted three classrooms of a school about 25km out of Manali. We're now back in Manali preparing for our trek which we start tomorrow.

The school was a two story concrete building and a previous World Challenge group had painted the lower level rooms. We slept (all 12 of us) on the floor in one of these rooms which needless to say was a smelly challenge in itself. I kept thinking of my time in Rwanda and making comparisons with that experience. I think I've settled on characterising this project as more satisfying in the sense of achieving something very tangible. But Rwanda was more rewarding in the interactions and friendships made. Except for a couple of cricket games, we did not get to meet too many local kids. But the boys did well and although it was a little hard motivating them on cold mornings, I think we did a good job. Of course we are only amateur painters and so the job isn't the best ever, plus the boys would tend to cut corners and not really finish a job they started which left more than a few touch ups to be done. But the principal was very happy and the rooms were definitely more lighter and friendly.

On the way back to Manali we stopped at a village called Nagar and walked up to a castle there for lunch. It was cool but the group decision was to move on and we didn't really explore it as much as I would have liked.

We start our trek tomorrow and we're told that there is some snow over the first pass and so we're making sure everyone has warm enough gear, taking advantage of the awesome local stores with hand made shoals, gloves etc. I'm quite excited about this part of the trip although a little nervous too as I'm not really as fit as I ought to be.

The boys spent this morning planning out rest and relaxation phase for after our trek. We will be heading to both Agra and Jarpour which will be awesome. Most of the others are going crazy with their cameras so I haven't bothered to even take mine out as I'll just get a collection of the best ones. In particular the teacher from Aussie (Tom) is a semi-pro photographer and has taken some incredible snaps. So stay posted.

My lunch has just arrived. A grilled vege sandwhich. The most western thing I've had so far. Not so much because I wanted it but this place with the free WiFi I found is expensive and this is the cheapest thing on the menu. I have truely loved the local food! I make sure I try as many new things as possible. Some of the boys are a bit over it though haha.

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paul, hope your trek went well! Not completely surprised you shipped yourself off into another adventure this year! I wanna see more photos!

    ReplyDelete

I may not get a chance to reply to your comment but I hope to at least read it and chuckle.