Thursday, January 24, 2013

Time flies when you're having fun!

I already think 2013 is going way too fast. To distract myself from the thought of having to be back at work on Monday I thought I'd try a final post from India.

I've just finished packing and had a long hot shower and sitting in a hotel room in Jaipur watching Amilie (one of my all time favorite movies) that happens to be on tv.

Anyway the last week or so has been RnR for the team. McLeod Ganj was awesome and such a cosy spot. It snowed while we were there and the boys had fun starting snow fights with a few locals. I think it was their first snow fall of the season because the whole city was buzzing with people out in the street enjoying it. We checked out the Delhi Lama's complex and the Tibetian museum, although shopping was by far the most poppular activity over the few days we were there. One cool thing we did as a group was a cooking class where we learnt to make momos (Tibetan dumplings) and I can't wait to try them at home!

We then travelled on a bus overnight on Sunday back down to Delhi before meeting a private bus to take us to Agra. It was a lot of travel and weariness set in which was a bit of a theme, for me at least, as we went on. We checked out the Taj Mahal that evening and watched the sun set. The next day we went to the Red Fort and the forgotten city on the way to Jaipur. Sadly the team structure and organisation was loosing its way a bit and it was painfully slow to sort simple things like a plan for each day and where to stay and eat. Once again interest in trying to shop trumped any real effort to look around and learn about this part of the country. But it's fair to say that there was generally something for everyone and probably worthwhile. I just think I would have done things differently if it were up to me.

A particular highlight for me yesterday was while waiting for the boys to meet us back at the bus after an afternoon strolling the pink city bazaars. Pete (the expedition leader) and I spotted a barber set up with a chair and mirrors etc in a little park under a tree and we decided to get a shave with a switchblade. I seriously wish I could do that every time I need to shave as it was awesomely relaxing, especially being outside in the shade of a tree!

This morning we jumped back on our bus and headed back here to Delhi. About a 7 hour bus trip in the end as traffic and road conditions slowed us down lots. But due to the early start to catch the flights we are forced to stat close to the airport where all the hotels are of a really good standard so it's a nice way to finish the trip (we were doing things on a bit of a tight budget everywhere else, although the boys did well to find a couple of nice places along the way).

Anyway missing the movie. So will sign off here for now. Back in NZ on Saturday afternoon. Wowzer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not get a chance to reply to your comment but I hope to at least read it and chuckle.