Saturday, December 31, 2011

As I walked through the valley in the shallows of mud...

... I take a look at my shoes and realise I'm stuck!


We've had weather that finally lives up to the idea of this being the short rainy-season. It has simply bucketed down for the last couple of days. A few times taking power with it. Today is much better so far but the neighbourhood I have to walk through is all dirt roads which are now swamp like and difficult to get through with out seriously changing the colour of your shoes. I'm not sure what's worse though because when it is dry, dust gets EVERYWHERE. I just spent the morning doing my washing and it took such a long time to get all the dirt off most things. I kind of gave up and did a half pie job. I remember a German dude who wrote a book about the major misconceptions about capitalism giving a lecture at the London School of Economics (you can find it on their podcasts) who said that the most revolutionary thing in the last century was not the computer but the washing machine. I now understand what he means. It takes forever to do it all by hand. And I only had to do my stuff, can't imagine a whole family's stuff and sheets and towels etc. Kudos to the women here who have to do that every other day.


So I said farewell to my fellow volunteer last night and I'm on my own for a couple of nights. I say on my own but I have Amani, and actually another volunteer has finished her placement in another part of Rwanda and is coming here to Kigali for New Years Eve before heading off on a trek through other parts of Africa. The new guy arrives sometime in the next couple of days and it will fall to me to help him find his way around. Quite scary because I was fairly reliant on my former colleague who was super awesome at picking things up and especially deciphering the borderline chaotic bus system. I think we'll be fine but could be a bit more learning by mistakes here and there!


Well you'll all be celebrating the dawning of the New Year as I type. 2012. Yikes. So much to do and so little time. I'm thinking along the lines of this as a great idea. We had a meeting yesterday with Jean-Francois the "owner" (not really the right word but it was his father who founded the organisation) of Gisimba (the orphanage I'm based at). There are huge challenges facing the sustainability of the operations and a huge number of projects that they wish to achieve. We spent sometime thinking about how we could help and this thinking will continue when we return home. I will try and do a post about this sometime in the future but it needs a fair bit more time and thought as to what I think I want to try and do. So as you are busy partying away, as I will be shortly too, I hope you spare a thought for those less fortunate. Jean-Francois said something yesterday that was kind of neat - "it doesn't matter how small the action, anything that helps the life of a child is worth it."


On that note. I'm off to wonder around town and to selfishly buy myself a few things. Hmm. Will chalk it up to helping local economy and employment rah rah rah.


PS: A bit quiet on the comments front. Hint. Hint.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, me yet again. Happy New Year! Analiese and I spend last night moshing in Edinburgh twas great. Comments are hard to post on this blog... sometimes it doesn't let me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that anyone responds to guilt-trip messaging... Sorry about that - good intentions and all that. Also great to read your new-found appreciation for domestic appliances!
    Trust your new year celebrations went well, and that you are managing without your trusty guide. All the best as you step into that role with the newbie arriving any day now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul, just been following your blog... awesome work you're doing there hope you're enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings from Windy Wellington. Have had your blog open on my screen at home since you posted the link, but only just got to reading it all!

    Glad to hear things are going ok, and I am sure you and the new guy are finding your way.

    Happy New Year Paul!

    ReplyDelete

I may not get a chance to reply to your comment but I hope to at least read it and chuckle.