Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Rat poison anyone?

There was a guy on the bus yesterday who was selling things, a fairly common practice over here. Except this time he had in his hand some anti-fungal creme and some rat poison. I wonder if anyone bought some. Who sits on a bus and thinks "if only I could deal with that rat problem right now"?

I have just finished my third day at the orphanage and I am exhausted. Not so much because of the kids although they are hard work but I'm more or less used to that from teaching. However it is about an hour trip on a couple of different buses each way. Plus a couple of walks at each end. In the heat, it gets pretty tiring getting around the place. At the moment we are holding two little English classes one for ~7-10 year olds and one for ~11-15 year olds. They seem to enjoy it a lot. Then we sometimes stick around and play for a little while.

There were five volunteers here when I first arrived but now we are left with just two as we farewelled the others over the weekend and yesterday. The other remaining volunteer is leaving at the end of the month and I think I am on my own for about two weeks until the next wave arrive. That's a little sad as it is super-good to have English speaking company and the opportunity to make friends. But also a bit exciting as it will be a challange to make it around by myself.

I have started to tutor a student in physics but it's quite advanced and so I've asked to take the textbook home to read tonight. At the moment I'm trying to get my head (back) around ideal gases and thermodynamics. Argh so tough. I was meant to meet another guy to help with chemistry, a much more familiar subject, but he never showed up. I think we just failed to really make a time as things got lost in translation. Tomorrow we will have a science group too.

This post has had several false starts. I tried to post it yesterday from the office of FVA (the volunteer organisers) but got caught in a massive downpour of rain which took out electricity and internet with it just I was about to hit save. And I got soaked walking the couple of blocks back home. Grrr. Electricity, sunshine, internet, and water are all things that cannot be depended on in Rwanda. Right now I am at an internet cafe with computers. I wish someone told me that it could be worthwhile bringing a laptop or something over as there are a few places with wifi and it would be good to hunt around for resources to teach with etc.

Ok well I'm not sure how much of this makes sense anymore but it feels like I've spent forever on it so I'm just going to hit save and catch a moto home.

Rimwe, rabiri, gatatu... (one, two, three...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not get a chance to reply to your comment but I hope to at least read it and chuckle.