Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What a cock.

I'm going to think twice before buying a gift for the third world. You know the ones that Oxfam, World Vision etc push and you buy a card as a gift for someone you know but it represents a goat or something given to someone in a developing country. I'm pretty sure our neighbor or someone near us received a hen rooster [hence: cock] for Christmas. It's been our constant and dependable alarm clock at 5am the last few mornings. It gets pretty light pretty early but it's a damn annoying creature. To be fair 5am was around when I was waking up most mornings anyway. But I liked the peace and quiet and the ability to choose when I wanted to get up. Grrr.


Today I tried to go and see a Rwanda Premier League football match but it may have been rained off (it poured down for about an hour before the game was meant to start but stopped). We're not too sure but it should be tomorrow now. I also played a game with a few of the kids this morning but it was three vs one for ages! I held my own ok at 3-2 until I finally convinced another to join in for my side. Exhausting and very very hot!


Last night we went out for dinner to take out the people who look after us over here. It was interesting and although quite a nice place and geared for somewhat of an international clientele, it confirmed our hypothesis and prior experience that service in Rwanda sucks. It took so long! And to top it off the goat kebab most of us ordered may have actually only been beef (I don't know what the difference in taste is meant to be but it sure was a lot like beef to me, the others were quite sure it wasn't goat and they've had it before but because it took so long we didn't bother sending it back).

What else? I've just been shown a new, and so far faster, internet cafe just near the orphanage which is super duper handy. But it's kind of caught me off guard and all those things I was going to write about have left my mind at present. I sometimes think of a bit of a list on the bus or something.

Oh it turns out there is another guy coming over to volunteer on the 31st. Details still a bit sketchy as I think he is the one I was originally told wasn't going to be here for another couple of weeks. So I may or may not have a new friend. Either way I think Amani (our housekeeper/cook/all-round nice guy) and I will be heading to some big party at the stadium for New Years Eve.


Ah I can't think of what else. I started out writing things in a notebook but that lasted all of two days! Useless. Oh well a short one is a good one yeah?


From the Muzungu you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not get a chance to reply to your comment but I hope to at least read it and chuckle.