Monday, December 26, 2011

One of the most physically tiring Christmases I can remember.

The day began early to bus out to the orphanage by 7.30. We then hung around with a few of teenagers and then went to church with a bunch of the younger kids. It was interesting. The place was packed out and very hot and stuffy. Not only was the language barrier a challenge to understanding proceedings, the fact it was a catholic church service was a new experience for me also. Actually I found myself almost hypnotised by this strange jukebox looking miniature display of the nativity. It was surrounded by flashing coloured lights but apparently was where kids were meant to drop off their offerings. I thought it was rather tacky and strange. The whole incense, chants, and tiny bells thing lost me a bit too. What I enjoyed most was that the kids seemed to really really appreciate having us there and I think we certainly added to their Christmas experience. At least I hope so.

After that I stayed at the orphanage for a few more hours, cracking out the frisbee and playing a bit of football. But wow was it hot. In fact the kids started saying the sun was too much for them too. It was super fun and I got to meet a few more of the kids and bring them into the fold a bit. Today (boxing day) we went back to start out classes again but the staff were not there to let us into the classroom/library (actually fairly empty basic room with a table). So it was more of the same just hanging and mucking around. Oh yeah, after catching a bus back to town and getting some food and checking email I decided to walk home yesterday which took an hour and a half!

Hope you all had a swell time too. I'm really enjoying it over here. No doubt it will be sad to leave in a few weeks time. For now, will make the most of it and I'm off to an art market (perhaps one or two of you lucky readers might be in for a small gift from said market).


Muabeho...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun! So wish that I was somewhere hot right now, I'm pretty envious Mr Falloon.

    ReplyDelete

I may not get a chance to reply to your comment but I hope to at least read it and chuckle.